Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pneumatic Cannons + Fire = Big Fun

So last summer I had this great idea to create a pneumatic cannon (also known as a t-shirt cannon). I found out that with a little bit of money, time, and planing these things weren't that hard to make. The cannon was basically comprised of a tank to store the air, a trigger mechanism to release the air, and a barrel to load the projectile into. I got all my material at my local pluming store and had every thing assembled and ready to go in like two weekends. When it was all finished and painted, let me tell you we had FUN! We launched everything we could fit in the 3in diameter barrel: apples, bananas, onions, t-shirts, water bottles, and more recently FIRE. Yah, I figured out then when you blow a puff of cornstarch into a flame, the high surface area of the powder results in rapid burning. Or in other words, a humongous FIREBALL. So what did I do? What any other self respecting teenage kid would do; I loaded my air cannon up with cornstarch and had my friend fire it at a tiki torch.


BEST IDEA EVER. Anyway, moral of this story is, every kid should go out and build themselves an air cannon. Its a necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment